DIY Fishing Activity


Every day I'm on the hunt for some kind of activity to keep my little guy entertained. He's so busy moving from one thing to the next, especially if it involves climbing. With the other kids in school all day, I'm lucky to have a lot of playing time with him.

I made a go fishing activity that he could do now as well as when he gets older. Each fish contains a small super strong magnet in the head to make it easier to catch with the larger magnet hook that's on the pole.

I was going to wait and give this to him for Christmas but I couldn't wait. As soon as he woke from his nap, we went fishing!! (Opps, I didn't even take the time to comb his hair for the picture). 


Materials needed:

Variety of fabrics
Fish template-found HERE 
Sewing machine
Poly Fil- I used one bag for 10 fish
Magnets-(I used Super Magnets for inside the fish and larger regular magnets for the hook on the pole).
Wooden dowel-What ever length you want
Paint- for painting wooden dowel, optional
String- I used bakers twine but any kind of string would work
Glue Gun

Instructions
*After choosing your fabrics, trace the fish template onto the wrong side of the fabric. You'll need 2 pieces for each fish. Then cut each fish out and place right sides together for sewing.  
Magnetic Hook
To make the magnetic hook, you'll need a piece of scrap fabric, a large magnet, string, hot glue and ribbon. Tie one end of the string to the magnet. You could always glue the string to the magnet as well. Wrap the fabric around the magnet and hot glue fabric together. This is so the little ones can't get the magnet out. Then tie a ribbon around the bunched fabric and tie the other end of the string to the pole.
Happy Fishing!



Photobucket 



13 comments:

  1. Very cute idea! Always looking for things to occupy my little guy too! He's a handful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is A-dorbs!! I love it! Visiting from the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe this is so cool! Pinning to make for my little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! I'm always looking for great DIY toy ideas and this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable and fun activity!
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Love your selection of fabrics with their big prints and bold colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable idea! Totally love the fabrics, too!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  8. So CUTE! We had one of these when I was a kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! My kids would really enjoy this! I would love for you to stop by and link this up to my weekly link party. http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured yesterday!
    --Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have felt ones but these are way cuter:) now i need to upgrade them! you should give us a source list for those fabulous fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate each and every one!